Been meaning to read Michael Rosen on Zola in England.
- Author: R. M. du Gard
- Title: Jean Barois
- Published: 1913
- Genre: historical novel with ‘mise-en-scene’ dialogue
- fictive characters based on historical persons l’Affaire Dreyfus
- Contents: 3 parts, 496 pages
- Language: French
- Trivia: Nobel Prize 1937
1. Explain the title of the book.
Jean Barois is the name of the main character. He grew up in a French provincial town and was educated in a catholic college.
2. What is the predominant element in the story?
Narrative: Du Gard is renowned for the different techniques:
direct dialogue: mise-en-scene
free direct speech: (the narrator takes on the speech of the character)
“Tu vois, toi…”
tone signifies that… “ Vous savez bien que je ne comprends bien à vos lectures.”
camera effect: – Jean Barois’s business card: the last address lines are crossed out.
In this ‘snapshot’ Barois tells us the Jean is unemployed. (pg 161)
3. Who is…
View original post 1,372 more words