- Author: Jay Bernard (1988)
- Title: Surge (31 short poems)
- Published: 2019
- List of Challenges 2021
- Monthly plan
- #PoetryMonth (April 2021)
- For those readers of Jay Bernard’s debut Surge who are
- not familiar with the historical event to which it responds,
- there is a carefully detailed author’s foreword.
- On 18 January 1981, 13 black teenagers were killed in a
- house fire that engulfed a birthday party at in south-east London.
- Although the New Cross Fire is still in living memory,
- Jay Bernard is seeking to introduce it to a new generation
- …to make history live and remind readers these are both statistics and people.
- I haven’t even opened the book but I feel this will be an emotional journey.
- This time I’m reading the book while listening to the audio book.
- I will just let Bernard’s words wash over me.
- Each poem has a different voice…a gathering…
View original post 169 more words