There has been so much discussion about her. Her self portrait is magnificent. Thanks again for this delightful post!
- Author: David Foenkinos
- Genre: adapted biography
- Title: Charlotte
- Published: 2014
- Language: French (also available in English)
- Setting: France and Germany
- Timeline: 1913 – 1943
- Trivia: This book won Le Prix Renaudot 2014 .
- Charlotte learned to read her first name on a tombstone.
- This is the first line of the book. She was named after her aunt who committed suicide.
- Death is at the heart of Charlotte’s life.
- Charlotte Salomon was born in 1917, to Albert Salomon, a surgeon, and Fraziska Grunwald.
- The Salomon’s were a liberal family that defined themselves as “Germans of the Mosaic persuasion.”
- In 1939, after Kristallnacht, Charlotte was forced to leave her home in Germany, and she moved to her grandparent’s home in France.
- The book begins with Charlotte’s aunt’s suicide.
- Foenkinos goes on to tell the story of Charlotte’s life and that of her family during World War…
View original post 637 more words