- Author: Emile Zola
- Title: Thérèse Raquin
- Published: 1867
- Language: French
- List of French Books Read
- List of Challenges 2020
- Monthly plan
- A cross between a crime fiction and fantasy novel
- Characters: Zola portrays an icy ménage à trois:
- Thérèse…her husband Camille and lover Laurent.
- Mme Raquin is Camille’s mother.
- Timeline: 6 years
- Plot: “Crime passionnel” that changes the lovers
- ..and drives them into madness!
- Characters change:
- Laurent: heavy, hot-headed –> gets nervous, fearful, violent and criminal
- Thérèse: nervous, unsatisfied, passive –> strong and sensual woman
- Madam Raquin: apathetic, quiet –> desperate and vengeful woman
- Camille: alive –> dead….killed in the water.
- The book is very easy read.
- So easy that I could skim parts when
- Zola uses long-winded descriptions (signature style of his writing)
- …. and not miss a beat.
- It is a tale of fiery passion, obsession, and
- the psychological aftermath
View original post 88 more words